Tuesday, October 24, 2006

10,000 cases of abuse

I just saw a film about sexual child abuse by priests of the Catholic Church
in Boston and it ended by the mention that all together the Catholic Church
had 10,000 cases of child abuse in this country by priests. And none of that
is ancient history.
 
Years ago I was punished by being asked to resign from my position on staff
at a homeless shelter. The churches were highly involved in its operation, and
the churches , esp. the Catholic was again more important then the children.
The Catholic Church was down on me because at that
time I was bringing attention to the epidemic of sexual childhood abuse in churches
thoughout the country. I didn't know that very issue was boiling to a head in my
hometown in our adored Catholic institution. So they got rid of me, but it didn't
get rid of their problem, which became infamous in the news for sometime.
 
When you really try to change abuse in our society, you are up against
formidable institutions who believe secrecy is more important than the
welfare of our children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home