Monday, April 10, 2006

Elephant Talk

Elephants live in a complex social order. They talk long
distance when the  winds calm and the air near the ground
becomes cooler than the warm air above it..mostly an hour before
sundown and 2 hour after . And a couple hours before sunrise.
They talk over 110 square miles (that's 6 miles in all directions)
 relying on ultralow tones classified as infrasound
 frequencies below what us humans can hear.
They have a broad range of voice...from the highs on a 
clarinet to deep lows...some of the lowest in the animal
kingdom.  
 
Michael Garstang studies the link between weather and sound
and his fondness for elephants took him to Africa.
From an article in the National Geographic.March 1004
 
I notice when the evening quiet begins, and birds sing their
last songs for the day ,and I think about the elephants calling
to each other.   

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Very interesting, I listen quietly to the birds, late evenings and mornings, very interesting.

Thanks for the elephants, too. Quite a juxtaposition Corewell.

3:32 AM  
Blogger corewell said...

Another level of consciousness. What are you aware of when listening?

Sometimes I hear the cries of all the people suffering and in pain on this planet. I get really depressed that it exists here,now. My favorite prayer is: 'May all people receive Your gift of unity in mind, body, and spirit'.

12:54 PM  
Blogger corewell said...

I will pray for those great,
beautiful elephants too. Today I was thinking how I might feel about the elephants if they had stampeded through my village.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home